Open Call for Digital Diasporas residents : deadline February 15, 2023
We are thrilled to join 4A Centre for Contemporary Asian Art (Sydney), Asian Arts Initiative (Philadelphia), and Yao Collaborative to host a second cohort of Digital Diasporas residents.
For more information and to apply, visit the Yao Collaborative (formerly China Residencies) website.
Ontario Arts Council Exhibition Assistance : next deadline December 3, 2021
Gendai is a third-party recommender for OAC's Exhibition Assistance grant. If you are an artist of colour with an upcoming exhibition, you can apply for financial support to cover some your expenses. You must apply through the OAC's digital application system, but email us for with any questions! gendaiclub [at] gmail [dot] com
Open call for Digital Diasporas residents : deadline July 15, 2021
Gendai is a host organization, alongside partners 4A Centre for Contemporary Asian Art (Sydney) and Chronus Art Center (Shanghai), for a new online residency for Chinese or Chinese diaspora artists, curators, researchers, and collectives. Thank you to the Australia Council of the Arts for the invitation to collaborate, and the Canada Council of the Arts for supporting Gendai's contribution.
For more information and to apply, visit China Residencies.
Open call for emerging arts collective : deadline April 19, 2021
We are seeking a GTA-based emerging arts collective to facilitate the MA MBA 2021–22 cohort.
Please note that funding is not confirmed for this project. We will apply for funding in collaboration with the selected applicant. We can provide more information if helpful for making informed decisions about one's own labour.
See full details of the open call, let us know if you have any questions or accessibility needs, and we'll do our best to support your application.
gendaiclub [at] gmail [dot] [com]
Ongoing call for collaborators
- We welcome any thoughts, criticisms, suggestions from your perspectives. (Please note that in our citational practice we try to focus on the work of QTBIPOC folks.)
- Is there a union for independent arts-based contractors in your community?
- Have you attempted or facilitated an equity audit for a cultural institution?
- Have you worked in a non-hierarchical org?
Our current research interests include:
- Universal basic income for artists/arts workers
- Labour union for artists/arts workers
- Sector transparency: salaries, artist fees, contracts etc.
- Experimenting with structures of funding
- Alternatives to institutions/professionalism
- Alternative approaches to Human Resources management
- Job sharing models/alternative labour structures
- Collective/decolonial practices
We'd love to hear from you! gendaiclub [at] gmail [dot] com